Saturday, October 23, 2010

Beethoven's 5th Symphony on Banjo


Beethoven's 5th on a Banjo. Perhaps one of the most well known classical pieces and is such a blast to play on banjo. It has some wonderfully challenging parts.

Please remember that I am no trained classical musician. I play the melodies and then add my own flavor, style, and improv.  Improvising or making music up fresh, new, and on the spot is one of my favorite things to do. It was also a favorite of many of the great composers as it puts the player to the test to be flawless in the moment.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your music. I started later in life also and am doing similar work with classical music. I have been working on Ode to Joy using first the basic melody then add some hammer ons, pull offs, chords and bends but the greatest addition was using a mute. At first it was courtesy for non banjo folks but I found I could hold a note longer and it changed the sound to a more harp like sound. Moving the injected strums further up the neck magnified the effect. Try it.

    ReplyDelete